Mixin’ Vixens train at Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre, a multi-use community space located in Toronto at 870 Queen Street East, between Broadview and Carlaw. Please see our accessibility page for details. Jimmie Simpson can be easily accessed by TTC, see details below. Jimmie Simpson is a large, bright, heated and air conditioned venue.
See our calendar for upcoming practices and events. Generally, we hold drop-in training sessions from 4:30 to 7 PM on Sundays.
$15 for a single drop-in, $40 for a full month. Cost for bootcamps and other events may vary.
For our practices, you will need:
- quad skates (no roller blades!)
- knee pads
- wrist guards
- elbow pads
- a mouth guard
- footwear that you are comfortable in for off-skates warm up
If you need more information about gear, please contact us directly or see our resources page for recommended skate shops.
To be eligible to skate at practice, you must either have previously purchased roller derby-specific insurance or be prepared to sign a waiver. Insurance is $50 and covers you from the time of purchase until December 31, 2016. You can purchase insurance or find out more information about our insurance provider at www.crdinfo.ca.
Floor and Wheels
Our floor is somewhat unique in that it has a slick top surface, but a rubberized layer beneath it. It can be challenging for endurance skating, because it takes a little extra energy to build and maintain speed. We would recommend you bring your hardest wheels, but due to the floor’s texture, the wheel’s durometer will not change the skating experience as much as it would on a typical floor.
- 501 Queen streetcar to the Empire or Boulton stops, depending on direction.
- 504 King streetcar to the Empire or Boulton stops, depending on direction.
- 72 Pape bus southbound from Pape Station to Queen
- If driving, there is limited parking at Jimmie Simpson itself, and ample street parking in the area.